The surrounding buildings that you will see there are only part of what is now called the "Corregidor's House", a name given by the National Institute of Culture (INC).

The title 'corregidor' was a Spanish title given to officials in Spain and the colonies, from the Spanish word 'corrector'. In fact, it was like the role of judge, governor and tax collector all rolled into one (Ed.note).

The house was built by the priest Silvestre de Valdés, who was put in charge of the construction of the Cathedral in Puno, after a visit to Puno by the Earl of Lemos in 1668. In his testament in 1701 the priest left instructions that his house was to be transformed into a chaplaincy for perpetual masses. The House was rented to José Salcedo, Marquee of Villa Rica de Salcedos in 1707.

For a century, the Church remained in charge of The House that had indeed been transformed into a Chaplaincy; then, in 1802, the Church organized a public sale and The House was acquired by Miguel Pasqual de San Román, who in 1809 transferred it to María Manuela de Orellana y Velasco, daughter of Joaquín de Orellana who was the Corregidor in Puno at that time.

María Manuela in turn gave the property to Manuel Cavallero, and from that time on The House was divided up and a series of cases for successors rights were lodged, almost up to 1900, when the property became unified again under the effort of Juan Manuel Gerónimo Costa Ondarza, who was representative in the Senate of the Republic for Puno. Upon his death The House passed on to the sisters Costa Rodríguez. One of them was Carlos Dreyer Spohr's wife, a German painter and collector of antiques. His collection would later constitute the Municipal Dreyer Museum.

In 1976, the heirs of the family Dreyer-Costa sold part of The House to the Municipality of Puno. In 1980, the other half was declared an Historical Monument typifying colonial domestic architecture of the XVIII century; together with the small strip between The House and the ´Prefecture´ which belonged to María de Noriega, widow of Barriga. Until 1841 this strip was used as a street and in 1981 was acquired by Augusto Dreyer Costa and Christiane Lefebvre. Christiane Lefebvre was an architect and carried out the most serious reconstruction of The House until then. In 1986 they jointly sold the entire property to the Peruvian Central Cooperative Credit Bank (C.C.C.). Then in 1992, this bank liquidated its assets and its properties were on auction from then on. In 1995, The House was sold in the 16th public auction, to the sole bidder, Mrs. Ana María Pino Jordán, the present-day owner.

Architect Estuardo Núñez Carvalo was involved in restoring The House to its present condition. It was he who suggested what to do with the free spaces annexing the property. Later a Group of Architects, Fabbri & Kukurello, prepared the plans to be presented to the INC for approval. Skillfully and with great care Antonio Pino Jordán undertook the task of restoring the property and making it ready for its present function. Invaluable was the contribution of Dien Koomen and Andrés Lope who worked in the garden and on the stones that adorn the vestibule today as was the contribution of Vicente Jallo who carved the stones and of Architect Joseph Reyes Bedoya, with whom colours and details of the era were chosen. Finally we would like to note that Juan, Rafael, Víctor and especially Mourik, Mauro, Zezé and Martha, and all others who joined in creating this part of the history of the Corregidor 's House have all done their share with love and dedication. They have worked for what also belongs to them: PUNO