Allow me to present the Corregidor's House, a different kind of place
right in the heart of Puno (Deustua 576), next to the Cathedral and
the Dreyer Museum.
Inside The House, you will find a traditional Puneño patio
with plants, colors and wonderful smells, full history and beauty.
The ancient part of The House, preserves its original features, it
is the one that goes from the street to the first patio. Its main
characteristic is the second floor and the hall.
The walls of the ground floor are 115 cm. wide and they get narrower
as they reach the top of the building. The front door, also original,
is one evidence that lead us to The House's real antiquity.
The stone of the portico is the same type as the one in the towers
of the cathedral. Notice that the cathedral's body has a different
type of stone and a different carving style than the one of its towers
and the reason is that they were built in different times, not only
chronological, but also historcal and architectonical too.
Probably, that is one of the reasons why The House was classified
as 18th. century's domestic colonial architecture.
Another reason of its atiquity are its tiles, probably with which
the hall was completely covered; only four of them have been recovered,
they are located at the top of the arch that lead us to the garden.
They can be seen from the entrace door to the premises. These four
tiles give us an idea of colour, texture and how the rooms looked
like. They also tell us about their time of validity (16th century).
In the garden, several niches which possibly kept images in bulk,
can be seen. The most beautiful and impresive is the one located under
the stone staircase, which it might have been used as a small oratorical,
sice the books and instruments for prayer were kept, can still be
seen on the right hand.
In the patio, carved stones can be seen; on one of them (the one split
in two), "Year of the King of 1732" can be easilly read.
These kind of stones used to belong to mine porticos and in the case
of the stones decorating The House's patio, they may have belonged
to the mine of "El Manto".
The room with the street view balcony at the second floor, belonged
to Silvestre de Valdez, just as it is shown in a lease contract dated
in 1707. It seems to be logical if we bear in mind that the Viceroy,
Earl of Lemos, put Priest Silvestre de Valdez in charge of the cathedral's
construction and to supervice the accomplishment of this task in an
administrative and spiritual aspect.
The House has suffered several reconstructions (1781,1810, more or
less until 1905,1981 and 2001). The latest has preserved its most
antique parts; it has rescued the second patio, constructed and reconstructed
the infrastructure where today the library is located.
The House has a total area of 600 square metres, nevertheless only
half of it corresponds to its original historical dimention, the rest
has been anexed during the years and the other half is now part of
the Dreyer Museum.